There are 71 medical colleges in Tamil Nadu that collectively have a seat count of 11075. Interestingly, Tamil Nadu has as many govt. medical colleges as it has private medical colleges. As you have guessed, there are 38 govt. medical colleges and 33 private medical colleges in Tamil Nadu . there are 700 more seats in private medical colleges (5,850 seats) in Tamil Nadu than government medical colleges seats in Tamil Nadu (5,225 seats).
For pursuing postgraduate studies, there are 44 medical colleges in Tamil Nadu offering 3,661 seats in MD/MS/Diploma programs. For pursuing super specialty studies, there are 21 medical colleges in Tamil Nadu offering nearly 600 seats in DM/MCH programs.
In the table below you can find the Total Tuition Fees, MBBS intake, Establishment Year, Cut off for All India Quota and State Quota Seats for every Govt Medical College. In Tamil Nadu, Private Medical Colleges participate solely in State Counseling procedures and not in All India Counseling. Hence, All India Quota cut off details is not available.
There are numerous benefits to the MBBS Abroad over study at Private Medical College in India. You can refer to the below table to understand the values we fetch in MBBS Abroad on various critical parameters, that are crucial before deciding the right path
Small Groups of 15-20 Students in each batch, Test after every Conceptual Class
100-150 students in a batch
Grading of Academics
Mostly European Credit Transfer System (ECTS)
University Level, CBME
Opportunities for Global Medical PG
US, CANADA, Gulf Region, UK and other European Countries incl India
Moderate to High
Multiple Hospitals for different speciality
College Hospital only
Teaching Experience of Medical Colleges
In Tamil Nadu, most of the colleges have more than 10 years to 25+ years of experience however, very few colleges established in last 5-10 years. It is always important to select an old medical college as there is no shortage of faculties and they are well experienced too, which is the primary requirement of a MBBS student for their learning.
Experience of Teaching
Name of Medical College
Less Than 5 Year
1. KMCH Institute of Health Sciences and Research, Coimbatore
2. Panimalar Medical College Hospital & Research Institute, Chennai
3. Indira Medical College & Hospitals, Thiruvallur
4. Bhaarat Medical College & Hospital
5. Government Medical College, Pudukottai
6. Government Medical College, Karur
7. All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Madurai
8. Arunai Medical College And Hospital
9. Faculty of Medicine, Sri Lalithambigai Medical College and Hospital
10. Government Medical College ,Tiruppur
11. Government Medical College Kallakurichi
12. Government Medical College Krishnagiri
13. Government Medical College Nagapattinam
14. Government Medical College Ramanathapuram
15. Government Medical College, Namakkal
16. Government Medical College, The Nilgiris
17. Government Medical College, Thiruvallur
18. Government Medical College, Virudhunagar
19. Government Medical College,Ariyalur
20. Government Medical College,Dindigul
21. Sri Venkateswaraa Medical College Hospital and Research Institute, Chennai
22. Srinivasan Medical College and Hospital
23. ST Peters Medical College, Hospital & Research Institute
24. Swamy Vivekanandha Medical College Hospital And Research Institute
25. VELS Medical College & Hospital
1. Karpagam Faculty of Medical Sciences & Research, Coimbatore
2. Velammal Medical College Hospital and Research Institute, Madurai
3. Government Sivagangai Medical College, Sivaganga
4. ESI-PGIMSR,ESI Hospital,K.KNagar,Chennai
5. Government Thiruvannamalai Medical College, Thiruvannamalai
6. Government Medical College, Omandurar
7. Government Medical College & ESIC Hospital, Coimbatore
1. Sri Muthukumaran Medical College,Chennai
2. DhanalakshmiSrinivasan Medical College and Hospital,Perambalur
3. Annapoorna Medical College & Hospital, Salem
4. Madha Medical College and Hospital, Thandalam, Chennai
5. Chettinad Hospital & Research Institute, Kanchipuram
6. Tagore Medical College and Hospital, Chennai
7. Saveetha Medical College and Hospital, Kanchipuram
8. Shri Satya Sai Medical College and Research Institute, Kancheepuram
9. SreeMookambika Institute of Medical Sciences, Kanyakumari
10. SRM Medical College Hospital & Research Centre, Kancheepuram
11. SreeBalaji Medical College and Hospital, Chennai
12. Meenakshi Medical College and Research Institute, Enathur
13. KarpagaVinayaga Institute of Medical Sciences,Maduranthagam
14. Trichy SRM Medical College Hospital & Research Centre, Trichy
15. ACS Medical College and Hospital, Chennai
16. MelmaruvathurAdiparasakthiInstt. Medical Sciences and Research
17. Government Villupuram Medical College, Villupuram
18. Thiruvarur Govt. Medical College, Thiruvarur
19. Thoothukudi Medical College, Thoothukudi
20. K A P Viswanathan Government Medical College, Trichy
21. KanyaKumari Government Medical College, Asaripallam
22. Government Vellore Medical College, Vellore
23. Government Dharmapuri Medical College, Dharmapuri
24. Theni Government Medical College,Theni
1. Sri Ramachandra Medical College & Research Institute, Chennai
2. Christian Medical College, Vellore
3. PSG Institute of Medical Sciences, Coimbatore
4. Stanley Medical College, Chennai
5. Thanjavur Medical College,Thanjavur
6. Madurai Medical College, Madurai
7. Kilpauk Medical College, Chennai
8. Madras Medical College, Chennai
9. Coimbatore Medical College, Coimbatore
10. Rajah Muthiah Medical College, Annamalainagar
11. Chengalpattu Medical College, Chengalpattu
12. Tirunelveli Medical College,Tirunelveli
13. Government Erode Medical College & Hospital, Perundurai (Formerly IRT Perundurai Medical College)
14. Mohan Kumaramangalam Medical College, Salem
15. Vinayaka Missions KirupanandaVariyar Medical College, Salem
NEET-UG Exam dates 2023
The National Testing Agency (NTA) will conduct the NEET (UG) 2022 examination on Sunday, 17 July 2022 in pen & paper mode. The examination will serve as a uniform entrance examination for MBBS admission and other stream like BDS/ BAMS/ BSMS/ BUMS/ BHMS and other undergraduate medical courses.
Pl find the tentative date for NEET UG 2023 Exam
NEET 2022 (Actual)
Expected Date NEET 2023
NEET exam notification
15th Dec 2022
NEET application form date by NTA
Last date to submit NEET application form
NEET UG Admit Card Release Date
1st/2nd Week Jul
1st Week of May 2023
NEET Exam Date
7th May 2023
1st Week of Jul 2023
NEET-UG 2023 Cut Off
The Directorate of Medical Education, Tamil Nadu is responsible for conducting State counseling for allocation of 85% of MBBS Seats in Govt and Private Medical College under State Quota. However, MCC is the governing body for filling rest 15 % seats through All India Quota seats in Govt Medical College and 100% Seats in Deemed University. Those who qualified NEET are eligible to apply in both the counseling processes. Please refer the table below to find Cut off marks for each category.
Please find the table below indicating Actual NEET UG cut off for 2021 and 2022 and Expected NEET 2023 Cut off
NEET-UG 2021 Cut-off
NEET-UG 2022 Cut-off
NEET-UG 2023 Cut off
Tamil Nadu NEET-UG Counselling 2023 dates
Seat allocation is being done in multiple phases both in All India counseling and State counseling of Tamil Nadu. This is because, many seats become vacant due to withdrawal of seats by the students for not getting college of their choice, not able to arrange the funds for fees, Lack of proof of their category under which they applied etc. Once the dates for reporting to the college/ Fee deposits/Submitting documents is passed all such seats made available for the next rounds. In the below table, you can find the details for counseling rounds in All India and State counseling followed for MBBS Seat Allocation-
NEET-UG Counselling 2022 (Actual)
NEET-UG Counselling 2023 (Expected)
Announcement of Counselling Dates
3rd Week of Oct 2022
3rd Week of Aug 2023
Result of All India Counselling Round-1/Round-2
1st/3rd Week of Nov 2022
1st Week/3rd Week of Sep 2023
Result of All India Counselling Mop Up and Stray Round
4th Week of Nov/1st Week of Dec 2022
4th Week of Sep/1st Week of Oct 2023
The DME, Tamil Nadu, Prepares and publish the State Merit list of under each category. Students can assess their chance to get college of their choice based on previous year’s Cut offs of that college. If you want to be sure about the chances it is recommended to use MOKSH College Predictor which utilizes Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning technology. Also, this college predictor will give you an idea and will predict the college possible for you based on your current NEET Ranking, Reservation category and Other Quotas applicable for you.
Eligibility for Tamil Nadu NEET-UG 2023 Counselling
The candidates, who are up for MBBS admission in Tamil Nadu, must have qualified NEET.
The students, who wish for MBBS in Tamil Nadu, must be having the domicile of Tamil Nadu.
Your age must be no less than 17 years.
MBBS Tamil Nadu cut-off 2023:10+2 with a score of at least 50% in PCB (for general category), 45% (for general PH) and 40% for ST/SC/OBC.
Your core subjects for 10+2 have to be Biology, Chemistry, English, and Physics.
How to Register for Tamil Nadu NEET UG Counselling 2023
The mode of application will be online and candidates are advised to submit it before the deadline. Once you successfully fill the application form, you will be asked to pay the application fee. Just be cautious while filling your necessary details so as to avoid any unforeseen circumstances later.
The application process is same as for the NEET counseling.
NEET result copy
NEET admit card 2023
High School Certificate (Class 10)
Class 12/Intermediate/Senior Secondary School examination certificate and its mark sheet
Certificate of bona fide resident which is issued by the competent authority (if applicable)
Caste certificate which must be issued by the authority, if applicable
Character certificate which must be issued by the school/institute last attended
Resident certificate (if applicable)
Benchmark disability certificate which must be issued by the Medical Board of PGIMS, Rohtak
Income certificate (for SC/BC category candidates)
Certificate of dependents of freedom fighters
Certificate of ESM issued by the authority
Printout of online application form
One must have four passport size photographs
Provisional allotment letter
Aspirants ID proof - Aadhaar card/PAN card/Driving License/Passport/Voter ID/Ration card or any other government proof
Open Competition – 31 %
Backward Class – 30 %
Most Back ward Class – 20 %
Scheduled Caste – 18 %
Scheduled Tribe – 01 %
Within the 30% reservation for Backward Classes, 3.5% will be provided for Muslims and 16% of seats out of the 18% quota earmarked to Scheduled Caste shall be allocated to the Arunthathiyar Community.
The reservation policy for MBBS admission in Tamil Nadu 2023 goes like this:
Your Chance to get a MBBS Seat in Tamil Nadu
The most difficult time for any of the students is to wait after NEET till the Counseling process to know whether he/she is getting a college of his/her choice or not? Sometime this dilemma continues for couple of months due to multiple rounds of Counseling. It has become more difficult due to parallel Counseling of All India Quota and various States due to COVID-19. The Counseling process is very complex where 550+ Govt. and Private colleges offer 83000+ Seats and fee variation is also huge that ranges from less than 1 Lac to 2.5 Cr for the course.
Dreams shatter when any silly mistake in choice filling or wrong selection of college leads to getting a poor ranked college. Imagine getting paid seats or no seats at all due to lack of genuine guidance!
MOKSH AI-based MBBS college predictor predicts your chances of getting an MBBS seat in Tamil Nadu State Medical colleges in All India Counseling NEET UG 2023 and Tamil Nadu State Counseling NEET-UG 2023 under various Seat categories like Govt., Management or NRI Seat. For assessing your chances of getting a seat, the MOKSH Predictor algorithm takes categories/sub-category or various Quotas into consideration as per Govt. regulations. It also takes into account historical data published by Medical Counseling Committee (MCC) or State Dept. responsible for Counseling Directorate of Medical Education (DME).
During MBBS study, a student realizes the importance of being a specialist. They also understand the competitiveness to secure MD/MS Seat in Govt College. If we look at the success ratio to get PG in Govt Medical College which is 11% Broadly we can say that only 1 out of 10 will get PG Seat whereas the chances of getting a Clinical specialty is 1 out of 20 applicants. It is obvious that the PG journey is going to be very difficult or else students should have enough money to get the paid seat in Pvt Medical College which may be in Crores!
Total Applicants NEET PG 2021
Govt Med College
Pvt Med College
MD (Non Clinical)
Do you feel early preparation and the right mentorship will pave your dream of becoming a specialist?
NMC already notified the introduction of the NEXT Exam in India from 2023. This exam will replace all Medical PG exams in India. The exam will be conducted in two parts NEXT-1 and NEXT-2. The Objective of the NEXT-1 is to assess the Student’s Knowledge of Pre, Para, and Clinical Subjects on the National Level. Only post-qualifying of NEXT-1 any Medical student will be eligible for an Internship. Post completion of the internship Students needs to go thru NEXT-2 which will assess their Clinical skills, Patient Management, and Keeping of Medical history. Those who will clear NEXT-2 are awarded a license to practice and Rankers of NEXT-1 will get PG seats of their choice. You may refer to Page for detailed information on the Next Exam.
We are well aware of the difficulty of getting a PG in India. With the introduction of NEXT, maximum students in India are getting attracted to USMLE prep from 1st year of MBBS since it simulates the new NMC Competency-based curriculum much more easily. US Healthcare system is considered one of the best health care systems because of numerous reasons like High rewards, excellent infrastructure, Merit-based assessment, Open opportunities for Super specialties. Most of the countries trying to replicate the US health care assessment system for their Medical Graduates USMLE exam are divided into 3 Parts. One can appear in USMLE Step 1 after 2nd Year, USMLE Step 2 CK during an internship, and Step-3 during your residency (Medical PG). The USMLE is an online exam and can be taken at the PROMETRIC centers present across India.
MOKSH Coaching focuses on a patient-centered learning approach which helps students score high on both USMLE & NEXT. MOKSH is the leading name in USMLE Coaching. Currently, 1000+ Students from Indian and Abroad medical colleges are preparing for USMLE steps via the MOKSH Platform.
Till 2024, the Professional & Linguistic Assessments Board Test (PLAB test) is the instrument to assess the skills and knowledge of an International Medical Graduate. It also judges whether she is fit to be trained to practice medicine in the UK.
In short, an IMG's performance in PLAB determines her eligibility to practice in the UK.The PLAB test has two stages. PLAB 1 is an exam that has 180 MCQs that tests your recall. On the other hand, PLAB 2 is a practical OSCE (Objective Structured Clinical Exam) that tests your clinical skills.
The GMC ascertains your linguistic skills by assessing your score in specific tests. It may be the IELTS (Band Score 7.0 or higher) or OET (Grade B in reading, writing, listening & speaking).
After you pass PLAB 1 & 2, you apply for the GP registration. There is one constraint. You have a window of 2 years after clearing PLAB 2 during which you may apply no later.
By 2024, the UK Medical Licensing Assessment will replace the PLAB. The COVID pandemic has resulted in a major change that has affected life everywhere and at every level.
Especially the healthcare sector has faced unprecedented pressure. Consequently, the GMC UK is going to change certain things in PLAB and create the UKMLA exam.
PG in Germany after MBBS in India is another great option, though it requires you to learn the German language. Of the 6 levels starting from A1 to C2, you need to clear A1 and A2 which would qualify you to apply for the visa.
Once the Language formalities are done, you get into the phase where you do Observer-ship from a German hospital approved by the German Medical Council. This is followed by Residency.
This may sound simple here but the process is quite complicated. To know more about PG in Germany after your MBBS in India,