MBBS in Egypt - Important Links
Egypt is a transcontinental country that spans North Africa and Western Asia. Libya, Sudan, the Red Sea, and the Mediterranean Sea border.Cairo is the nation's largest and capital city. Certainly, MBBS in Egypt is proving to be a reasonable alternative for MBBS abroad at a reasonable budget.
Egypt is well-known for its historic culture and famous sites, including the Giza Pyramids, the Sphinx, and the Nile River. Arabic is the official language, and most of the population is Muslim. Egypt has a rich cultural history that has had an impact worldwide for ages, including its literature, music, and cuisine.
Quick Facts about MBBS in Egypt
|MB BCh(Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery)
|Medium of instruction
|Duration of Course
|7 Yrs. incl. Internship
|License to International Students
|License Exam Body
|Egyptian Medical Exam
|1 EGP ~ 3 INR
Medical Education System in Egypt
MBBS in Egypt for Indian students has gained popularity since 2019. The Egyptian medical schools award an MBBCh (Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery) as the basic medical degree. After completing five academic and clinical study years, followed by two years of required clinical rotations (the MB BCh degree is issued after completion of the clinical rotations), making a total of seven years of academic, clinical study, and clinical rotations.
The Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research organises and regulates Egypt's medical education system. Students who passed 10+2 Grades or equivalent can apply to Egyptian Medical Universities. The Bachelor’s in Medical Education is divided into 3 parts-1. Pre-Clinical, 2. Clinical, 3. Internship
In Egypt, becoming a doctor generally involves the following steps:
- Internship: After completing medical school, graduates must undergo a two-year internship program in a hospital affiliated with the Medical University. They obtain practical instruction and experience in their speciality area during this timeframe.
- Residency: Graduates can apply for a residency program in their preferred speciality after completing their internship. The residency program for residents often mandates three to five years and includes more instruction and hands-on experience.
- Specialization: Graduates can apply for a specialization program to become a specialist in a particular branch of medicine after finishing their residency
Comparison of MBBS in India and Egypt
If we compare the medical education systems of the two nations, we discover that they are nearly identical.
|Public-1-3 Lacs Pvt 60-90 Lacs
|43500 USD~35 Lacs INR
|Good to Avg
|Asian-Pre, Para & Clinical
|Asian Pre, Para & Clinical
|0-20 Years ( for Most)
|Very high (Govt)
Indian Students in Egypt:
Beginning in 2019, Indian students began to travel to study MBBS in Egypt. Most were enrolled at Cairo University, Ain Shams University, and Alexandria University. Currently, over 350 Indian students are enrolled in these universities, with 200+ studying at Cairo University, 125+ at Ain Shams University, and the remaining at Alexandria University. Indian Students from AP, Tamilnadu and Kerala are the ones who are looking to study MBBS in Egypt.
Advantages of studying MBBS in Egypt
The Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) program has various downsides, including:
- Old Institutions: Most universities have academics with up to 200 years of teaching expertise.
- English Taught: In Egypt, all students, including native students, study medicine in English, similar to India.
- Clinical Exposure: Egyptian hospitals experience an excessive inflow and outflow of patients, and because internships last longer than in India, the clinical exposures are also richer.
- NMC Acceptance: The degree obtained from any Egyptian medical college fulfils all the criteria set by the NMC; hence, after completing the course from Egypt, the student can appear in the NEXT Exam.
- Affordable: Egypt offers inexpensive living and affordable education costs.
Disadvantages of studying MBBS in Egypt for Indian Students
- Duration: Compared to other MBBS abroad locations, Egypt's general medical curriculum takes 5+2 years to complete, which is more time than one year. After passing the NEXT exam, you must finish your degree, including a year-long internship in India, within 10 years. This means you have a relatively limited number of chances to pass the NEXT exam.
- Small Indian Community: India's Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MEA) records no more than 3500 Indians who work for international corporations, are involved in projects, or are students. Comparatively speaking, this number is relatively low compared to any other nation.
Cost of Study MBBS in Egypt:
While calculating the cost of MBBS in Egypt, the major expenses are
- University Tuition Fee
- Hostel or Accommodation Cost
- Food Cost
- Travel cost to India
- Personal Expenses
The cost to Study in Egypt MBBS is approx. 50 Lacs for the complete course.
1. MBBS Tuition Fee in Egypt
The tuition fee for all the Govt Medical colleges in Egypt for international students remains the same. Pl refer to the table below for the Egypt MBBS fee structure
|6thYr - 7thYr (Internship)
Egypt MBBS fees for Indian students are approx. 5 Lacs INR for a year. MBBS fee in Egypt is higher than other MBBS Abroad destinations like Russia, Bangladesh etc.
2. Hostel Facility in Egypt
On-campus accommodations for international students are not always available at all universities. For instance, only students accepted on scholarships are provided housing at Cairo University while on campus accommodations are offered to every student enrolling at Ain Shams University.
Hostel Charges in Egypt: The charge ranges from 1500-2000 EGP (~4000-6000 INR)
Private Accommodation Cost (in Cairo): A 2 BHK flat, together with all utility bills in Cairo, costs around 6000-7000 EGP (15000-20000 INR) for a month. Nonetheless, the rest of the cities cost even less.
3. Indian Food in Egypt
Although there are few Indian students in Egypt, you will find many great food options there. Conversely, finding affordable food options on a monthly basis can be difficult. The availability of Indian messes is very limited. The cost of the Indian mess is around 2000 EGP (~6000 INR) every month. Self-cooking is a better option.
4. Travel Cost
Cairo is connected from Indian cities through Dubai. The time and cost of the flight depend upon your chosen airline. Flight can cost you approx. 20-25K for one way. Direct flights from India to Cairo are very few and take 6-7 hours.
Daily need items or groceries are a little expensive compared to India but still affordable. See the table below for an estimation of the cost of living in Egypt:
|Average cost (Commodity)
|Milk (1 litre)
|Loaf of bread
|Monthly Pass for local conveyance
|Basic Utility (Gas, Electricity, etc.)
|Meal at an average restaurant