Admission Procedure

The admission process depends on two major factors, the subject you chose to study and the country from where you come from. The deadlines vary from university to university and degree to degree.

While students are waking up to the many advantages of pursuing their education from Germany, the eligibility criteria continue to baffle and confuse students. This is primarily because German Universities have multi-level eligibility criteria.

  1. Find your area of focus and field of study which you wish to pursue in Germany and then wisely chose your German university accordingly.
  2. Admission requirements:
    • Visa and Residence Permit- As an international student you require an entry visa for Germany depending on where you come from and how long you plan to stay here. Before applying for Visa keep the following points in mind:
      • Submit your Visa application early enough as it takes time for processing otherwise it might become a difficulty later on.

      • Make sure to apply for the correct Visa otherwise with the wrong Visa you will be forced to leave the country at the same point, you enter.

      • Schedule your trip to Germany so that you have sufficient time to enroll at your university and take care of the administrative obligations. Enrolment is a prerequisite for obtaining the “residence permit for purposes of study”.

      • Make sure your passport is valid for your entire stay! If your passport expires while you are in Germany, you will have to return to your home country and extend the validity of your passport there.

  3. There are two types of visas:
    • Student applicant visa (“Visum zur Studienbewerbung“) If you have not yet received notification of admission to a university or foundation course, you should apply for a student applicant visa.

      This three-month visa allows you to meet the requirements for admission to a German university. If you find that three months is not long enough, you may extend your visa to a maximum of six months. If you are admitted to the university or foundation course within this period, you may apply for a student visa.

    • Student visa (“Visum zu Studienzwecken“)

      If you have received your notification of admission to university or a foundation course, you should apply for a student visa. Student visas are usually valid for three months. Within these three months, you will have to apply for an extended residence permit at the Alien Registration Office in your respective town.

  4. Application Requirements :
    • a) Confirmation of registration from the Residents’ Registration Office
    • b) Confirmation of private or public health insurance coverage
    • c) Student ID from your German university (certificate of enrolment)
    • d) Proof of financial resources (if you didn’t present it earlier when you applied for a visa)
    • e) Valid passport and current visa, if you have one
    • f) Certificate of health(if applicable)
    • g) Your tenancy agreement (if applicable)
    • h) Biometric passport photos (if applicable)
    • i) Money for the residence permit fee (inquire at the International Office about the current rate).

    You initially receive a two-year residence permit which can be extended if necessary. The approval of an extension depends on whether your studies have proceeded “properly” (i.e. you are keeping within the standard period of study for your degree program).

    You have to present a letter of confirmation to this effect from your university. And remember: You must apply for an extension before your residence permit expires!

  5. German Language is a prerequisite- But not always: German is normally the language of instruction in most degree programs at German universities. That’s why foreign applicants are usually required to prove their knowledge of German before gaining admission.

    However, German is not a prerequisite if you enroll in an international degree program or a special post-graduate course. Some universities do not ask for proof of German language proficiency if you plan on studying there for only one or two semesters.

    This rule does not apply everywhere, however. It’s best to inquire directly at the university about the language requirements for incoming students.

  6. Recognition of your secondary school leaving certificate:

    If you want to study at a German university, you will need a “Hochschulzugangsberechtigung” – or “university entrance qualification”. This is a school-leaving certificate which qualifies you for university study.

    If your secondary-school certificate is deemed insufficient for study in Germany, you will have to attend a foundation course (“Studienkolleg”) before you are allowed to enroll.

    It is very important for you to know whether your certificate is:

    • It is very important for you to know whether your certificate is:
    • Recognized only for subject-restricted university admission (i.e. for study in a limited subject area).
    • Recognized only in combination with one or two years of successful university study in your home country.
    • Not recognized as university entrance qualification.

    A formal university entrance qualification is sometimes not required from talented candidates applying for admission to artistic subjects.

    Depending on the university, you may have to submit samples of your work or pass an aptitude test instead.

Get free counselling

Fill below details to get a call from expert career counsellor