Life in Latvia
Latvia is one of the three Baltic nations of the European Union. Situated along the coastline of the Baltic Sea, Latvia shares a border with Belarus, Estonia, and Lithuania. Riga, the capital city of Latvia, is full of varied cultures and architecture. The lush green forest area covers most parts of Latvia. Also, there are plenty of beaches it enjoys a peaceful atmosphere, and life here is lively and fast-paced.
Climate of Latvia
Due to its location surrounding the coastal region, the climate of Latvia is influenced by oceanic winds. Thus, we can say that the climate here is temperate with warm, dry summers and snowy winters. February is the coldest month, and July is the hottest month. The average temperature throughout the year ranges from -4 °C to 18 °C.
Study in Latvia
Latvia houses a total of 15 higher educational institutions, out of which 11 of them are state-owned while the rest 4 are private institutions. Riga, the capital city of Latvia is abundant with 7 state and 4 private universities. In addition to that, Latvia is home to some of the reputed European universities counting Vilnius University and Klaipeda University. So if you wish to be a part of Europe and also obtain a degree from a reputed university, studying in Latvia can be the finest choice for you as an international student.
The country boasts of offering plenty of study opportunities to international students. Here, international students can select study programs such as international law, international relations, international business, etc. Moreover, the number of students enrolling in various study programs in Latvia is gradually gaining momentum each year. And, hence it is flourishing as one of the most popular locations to gain higher education.
On one hand, Latvia has EU membership, and hence any degree is equivalent to that of an EU country. On the other hand, the tuition fees and other costs of living are way too affordable than that of foreign nations. Study Engineering in Latvia is much popular and the universities here are eminent for producing high-quality engineering and IT graduates. Any students willing to enroll in a degree program at a low cost can consider studying in Latvia.
As of QS World Ranking 2023, Riga Technical University holds the 751-800 position, whilst Riga Stradins University and the University of Latvia are the most prestigious universities in Latvia. RIGA Technical University Country Ranking is placed at 2nd position while RIGA Technical University's country ranking is 1715th. In addition, the RISEBA University Country Ranking is positioned at 17th place.
Advantages of studying in Latvia
- In Latvia, its Universities offer relatively affordable study programs than to those accessible in Canada, UK, and US universities.
- Besides, Latvian Universities offers researchers and teaching staff from several countries for studies and research work.
- Also, the far above the ground quality of educational programs, enables the students to unlock their potential to the fullest.
- The cost of completion of higher education in Latvia will be almost the same budget as in India.
- The Latvian Universities follow the Bologna Education System which is in alignment with the American Credit system.
- Access to Latvia’s Schengen Visa equals the right to enter and to travel freely within the 26+ participating Schengen countries or the Schengen Area.
- The European Union’s Law permits students to carry out a part-time job for 20 hours per week. And hence, allowing the students to gain work experience along with their studies.
- In addition, some of the Universities in Latvia grant for their students depending on their grades and other criteria.
Medium of Instruction in Latvia
Nonetheless, Latvian is the first language. But, the country offers plenty of programs and courses available in other foreign languages. Additionally, over 200+ English Taught Courses are offered to national and international exchange students.
Popular Programs in Lithuania
- Management Programs in Latvia – Latvia houses some of the top ranking universities namely, Riga Technical University (RTU), and RISEBA University offer several study programs in the stream of Business Management and Economics. Some of the preferred Management programs in Latvia include International Communication Management, Business Administration, Business Logistics Management Law and Finance, Entrepreneurship and Management, etc.
- Engineering Programs in Latvia – The Riga Technical University provides top-quality engineering programs to students. Not only do these universities rank nationally but also globally reputed. RIGA Technical University offers study programs like Industrial Engineering, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Energy and Electrical Engineering, Industrial Engineering & Management, etc. are quite presented to the students.
- Media and Arts Programs in Latvia – The Media and Arts Programs study programs in Latvia are designed to help students acquire an understanding of the subject of instruments and obtain skills in creating artworks in various new media (interactive, sound, network, multimedia, etc.). Certainly, precision level master’s and bachelor’s level programs are available in Latvian Universities.
Popular Universities in Latvia
|1||RIGA Technical University||Business, Economics, Engineering, Media & Arts||Bachelor, Master|
|2||RISEBA University||Architecture & Design, Business, Economics, Engineering, Media & Arts||Bachelor, Master|
The Latvian Universities offer two main intakes each year. The international and national students can choose either of the two intake periods. The deadline for the autumn intake might end in July-August. While the deadlines for the winter intake will end in December-January. However, the admission deadlines for enrolling in different programs may vary on the University.
|Intake||Month||Last Date to Apply|
|Autumn||September 2023||1st June 2023|
|Spring||February 2024||15th Nov 2023|
Eligibility Criteria for Admission
A minimum score is 55% and above in the 10+2 Standard.
The student should have attained 18 years of age or above.
Any English proficiency tests like IELTS or TOEFL are not mandatory.
Some Universities may ask for higher academics or additional qualifications depending on their program.
For admission to Latvian Universities, the students are required to submit the following documents-
- 10th / 12th school mark sheet’s transcripts
- School Leaving Certificate
- Passport or ID card (with the validity to duration of your stay)
- Passport-sized photographs.
- An essay or a letter of motivation (if asked by the university)
- Proof of language proficiency (in the English language).
- Registration fee.
Study in Latvia at the cost of India
The total budget to study in Latvia, for instance, would range between from 3.50 to 20 Lacs for the entire study. Moreover, the cost of studying in top management colleges in India would be approx. Rs. 7.5 to 25 Lacs a year. Besides, the total cost of studying a Management Program in India would range from 20 to 40 Lacs (22,000 EUR to 45,000 EUR) for entire course. Hence, we can say that the overall cost of study in Latvia is comparatively lesser than that of India. Besides this, Indian students get the added benefit of comprehensive work experience and realistic organizational skills.
Scholarship in Latvia
Latvia runs different state scholarship programs for international and national students as well. Meritorious students can even avail the benefit of a student exchange program at partnered universities. The universities do waive the tuition fees and also living expenses are provided. Besides, other liberties such as Erasmus Student Network (ESN) card, Latvian Student Identity Card (LSP), International Student Identity Card (ISIC), etc are also obtainable.
However, the call for application for these scholarship programs has to be made by the students beforehand. Any student willing to Study in Latvia must keep track of the deadline dates for scholarship application.
Hostel or Accommodation in Latvia
An international student can avail of accommodation at a cost as low as 200 – 300 EUR per month. On the whole, when considering other add-on expenses such as food, books, and leisure activities, one can easily obtain with approx 500 EUR a month or maybe less than that. However, staying in university accommodation would preferably save extra bucks.
Cost of living in Latvia
Any international student planning to achieve higher studies would get the benefit of low-cost living in Latvia. Likewise, any student/ individual will enjoy expending a life 34.78% less expensive than that of the US.
The living cost would be as low as 250 – 300 EUR /month approximately. Besides this, the cost of basic utilities would be EUR 150 - EUR 200 monthly. The overall living cost, however, depends on the lifestyle led by an individual.
Indian Students in Latvia
Latvia offers low-cost study programs, excellent academic institutions, high-quality life, and so on. International students mainly prefer to study in Latvia due to its inexpensive livelihood. In addition, Latvian Universities offer qualitative education at affordable cost making it the best location for students willing to study abroad. And currently, about 3500 Indian students are enrolled in different study programs at various universities.
Part-Time Jobs for Indian Students
As per the European Union Law, an International student holds the right to work Part-time jobs in Latvia is mostly centered in Riga, the economic center of the country however, students can find jobs in smaller towns and cities.
In addition, depending on the job role one can earn up to €400 to €600 for 20-40 hours of work per week. Working part-time jobs while you’re studying can also help to recompense for your education, monthly expenses, and travel expenses as well.
Moreover, this will not only help students to earn but will also enable students to gain working experience in European Companies. Besides this, working along with their studies will also help students to plan out their expenses as well.
Visa Processing in Latvia
In Latvia, the processing time for the study visa may take up to 15 working days or could take up to two months in extreme cases. As a result, students are suggested to begin the visa application process as soon as possible. Hence, students should for the visa six months before traveling to the country.
Post Study or Temporary Residence Permit
Any International student who wishes to stay in Latvia after graduating from his can apply for a temporary residence permit. Students in (Bachelor's/Master's programs) receive a residence permit for the study period. Moreover, with access to this permit, the student can stay in Latvia for an additional 4 months after the end of studies (graduation). These additional 4 months enable students to apply for master’s studies or get a job, which can be extended for an additional 9 months (upon request). Thus, to look for a job and start working without holdup students have a term of one year in total.
In Latvia, the registration process for the residence permit takes up to 5 business days. Note that, the application for the Temporary Residence Permit has to be submitted along with the supporting documents.
Latvia follows a strongly based study curriculum that is worldwide recognized. Also, world-class education benefits the students to gain experience that meets international standards. Many students prefer taking a job in the country of their studies. In Latvia, all the students enjoy the right to work which helps them work on building their careers while studying abroad. Moreover, the internship drive helps the students to get placement in reputed firms and trending companies.
You can refer to the table given below for the most preferred job titles in Latvia and the average salaries offered – (1 Euro = 80.6 INR)
|Preferred Job Roles in Latvia||Average Salaries (Per Year)|
|Allied Healthcare Professional||21600 EUR|
|Business Manager||26000 EUR|
|Finance / Investment / Accounting Manager||15600 EUR|
|Financial Analyst||24000 EUR|
|Hospitality / Tourism||30000 EUR|
|Marketing Manager||22000 EUR|