MBBS in Georgia
Students seeking to complete their MBBS programs are exploring alternative, secure locations that meet both their budgetary and educational requirements. As a result, MBBS in Georgia is becoming an increasingly attractive option for those looking to study abroad.
Georgia is part of Eastern Europe and shares the border with Russia, Azerbaijan, Turkey, and Armenia. Firstly, the country's population is 37 Lacs and almost 50% of the population resides in Tbilisi, Batumi, and Kutaisi.
Tbilisi is the capital and the largest city of Georgia has a population of 12 Lac people and is located on the banks of the Kura River. There are around 1.5 million people living in the city as a whole.Tbilisi has emerged as a business hub for all nearby countries.
Batumi is the second-largest city of Georgia and the capital of the Autonomous Republic of Adjara retaining a population of more than 2 Lacs.
Kutaisi is the third most populous city in Georgia after Tbilisi and Batumi. The city is situated at a distance of 221 kilometers from Tbilisi. Its population is just 1.5 Lacs.
Quick facts about Georgia
|Total Medical Univ||23|
|Degree Awarded||Doctor of Medicine|
|Currency||1 GEL = ~33 INR|
|Tuition fee/ Year||$5000- $8000 (in USD)|
|Meets NMC Guidelines||Yes|
Indian students in Georgia
In the past two to three years, Indian students have been more interested in MBBS in Georgia. Prior to 2020, the majority of Indian students in Georgia were from the Gulf region because these nations have excellent connectivity to Georgia and do not require a visa for entry. It is estimated that 4000+ Indian students are currently studying in Georgia, and more than 2000+ Indian Students are admitted in 2022 alone. These figures are expected to grow to 2500+ in 2023.
Duration of MBBS or MD Course in Georgia
Georgia offers 6 years of Medicine program and is termed as Doctor of Medicine (MD) which is equivalent to the MBBS in India. Positively, most countries in East and West Europe follow the same ECTS, and as a result, all of their medical universities offer a 6-year medical program.
Advantage of Studying MBBS in Georgia
Georgia is a great place for MBBS for several reasons, some of which are listed below.
- Safety: Is Georgia safe for Indian students? Georgia is one of the safest countries in the world and ranks top among Europe in terms of safety.
- European Education System: Georgia uses the ECTS system of education, which enables students to transfer during their studies to any country in Europe without suffering academic loss.
- Compliance with NMC guidelines: Georgian Universities meet every NMC criteria, hence one can appear in NExT.
- Option for American Integrated Program: This is a very exclusive program is offered in very few Georgian Universities, that helps the student to prepare for the USMLE Exam along with their MD studies.
- Global recognition: Georgian universities have received worldwide recognition from organizations like the WHO, ECFMG, GMS UK, MECEE Canada, and numerous other Gulf nations.
- Clinical Exposure: Students study in teaching hospitals after their 2-1/2 years, of course, It means they get an opportunity to interact with patients in the rest 3-1/2 years of their MD.
- English proficiency: Almost 60% of Georgians between the ages of 18 and 35 are able to understand English.
- Option for permanent residency: Can we settle down in Georgia after MBBS? Yes. You need to do your Medical PG which is also termed as a Residency program from Georgia and you can apply for Georgian Citizenship.
Disadvantages of Studying MBBS in Georgia
Georgia is a desirable location for studying medicine for many reasons, but there are also potential difficulties. You should carefully consider the information below before making your decision to study medicine in Georgia.
- Lacks European Membership- Georgia is not a part of the EU, so, you will not acquire the advantages like any other European country.
- High cost of tuition and living- The cost of studying and living is high when compared to Russia, China, etc.
- Availability of Pathway programs- PG Pathway Programs are available in very few Universities.
MBBS Tuition Fee in Georgia
How much does it cost to study MBBS in Georgia? Georgian medical universities tuition rates are slightly higher than those of other well-known MBBS program when we compare medical schools in different abroad destinations like Russia, China, Serbia, etc. In Georgia, tuition fees range between 5000 USD to 8000 USD in most Medical Universities.
Medical Colleges in Georgia
Every student aspires to be accepted into Georgia's top medical school. 18 private universities and 5 public universities in Georgia provide medical degrees.
|University Name||City||Univ Type||Tuition Fee||Grade|
|Univ of Georgia (Integrated American Program)||Tbilisi||Private||6000||A|
|Tbilisi State Medical Univ||Tbilisi||Public||8000||A+|
|Teaching Univ Geomedi||Tbilisi||Private||5500||B|
|Ilia State Univ||Tbilisi||Public||5300||B|
|Georgian National Univ||Tbilisi||Private||5500||B|
|Georgian American Univ||Tbilisi||Private||B|
|David Tvildiani Medical Univ AIETI||Tbilisi||Private||8000||B|
|Akaki Tsereteli State Univ||Kutaisi||Public||3600||B|
|Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State Univ||Tbilisi||Public||8000||B+|
|Batumi Shota Rustaveli State Univ||Batumi||Public||4000||B+|
|Petre Shotadze Tbilisi Medical Academy||Tbilisi||Private||6800||C|
|New Vision Univ||Tbilisi||Private||7000||C|
|Grigol Robakidze Univ||Tbilisi||Private||4500||C|
|Caucasus International Univ||Tbilisi||Private||5500||C|
|BAU International Univ||Batumi||Private||C|
|East European Univ||Tbilisi||Private||5500||C+|
How to select Medical College in Georgia
It is essential to know what standards are necessary when you choose a medical college in Georgia. Before choosing a medical school in Georgia, keep the following in mind:
- Clinical Exposure: Patient inflow, entirely depends upon the population of the city, most of the cities in Georgia are less populated except Tbilisi. Henceforth, it is advised to select a medical college in Tbilisi city; Medical Colleges in Batumi and Kutaisi specifically have Polyclinics and not hospitals.
- Availability of American Program (USMLE Preparation): You should pick a university that provides a roadmap to your Medical PG destination. Only two universities in Georgia have an American Integrated Program for USMLE preparation.
- University Infrastructure: The University should have excellent facilities, enough lab space, and a connected hospital for clinical rotations.